How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1523
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Afternoon, My daugher is starting the process of changing

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon,
My daugher is starting the process of changing her son's surname. He has his fathers surname currently and she wants to change it to her last name. The father is not on the birth certificate, is a known drug user, has had multiple arrests, and is currently in re-hab under a court order. Do you think there would be any way a court system would deny her the name change request? There has been no involvement with my grandson and his 'father'. No child support has been given to her.
I don't see any foreseeable roadblocks to having the name change.
Dr. G. and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you