How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1523
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 17 year old son who is giving us a very hard time;

Resolved Question:

We have a 17 year old son who is giving us a very hard time; something that I think is referred to as ungovernable behavior. We want to get him help through counseling or perhaps medication which would require an evaluation. What are our legal rights or strategies to get him help or, if absolutely necessary, to remove him from our home legally?

One way or the other he has to know his behavior cannot comtinue. We have to lock up or hide our money, medication, car keys at night so he doesn't take our vehicles which he has done on at least 2 occasions without a license. He is also involved in dealing pot.

We are in Wilmington, NC.

Thank you,

Mark M.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
At 17 you guys still have legal rights to mandate him to treatment. I would recommend some type of residential treatment facility which would solve both of the problems of needing him to leave the house and get treatment. Problem is once he turns 18 he is on his own. So then that would mean you have to kick him out or give him an ultimatum to get treatment in order to stay in your house. You can also call the police if he is doing illegal activity and then the court can require him to get treatment. If I were you I would continue counseling and have your therapist help you with a plan through all of this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do we mandate him to get treatment? We are familiar with an involuntary comittment; is that the only way?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Well you can go through social services and explain the situation and if he is a danger to himself or others then they can help you get him into treatment. Otherwise you can mandate him to treatment or he has to leave the house. Finally, you can get the court involved to make him go.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you be more specific on how to mandate him to treatment?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
If he is a danger to himself or others then you call up law enforcement and he can be required to go to get help after completing a psych assessment. The court can also order him into treatment but law enforcement needs to get involved.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry Dr. G., I am looking for specifics and I seem to be getting generalities. I know it's a tough thing and it is extremely tough on my wife and I. He will not get therapy or counseling.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Where do you live?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wilmington, NC
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Contact your local social services XXXXX
Wilmington, NC NNN-NN-NNNN

Their website says: What services are available for children exhibiting dangerous behavior?

A parent or caretaker can call Law Enforcement, the Office of Juvenile Justice or Southeastern Center for Mental Health, depending on the behavior that the child is exhibiting.

I hope this is specific for you.
Dr. G. and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you