How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nearly 17 year old (in 2 weeks) dtr ran away in the past,

This answer was rated:

My nearly 17 year old (in 2 weeks) dtr ran away in the past, is failing school and since I've remarried nearly 3 yrs ago, has hated my husband. She had decided when she was 17 she was moving out to her friend & dad's house. Different school district, but only 20 miles away. Doing better at this school - but the father of her friend had been convicted of child molestation (2 yrs ago). My dtr thought it was all a lie and believed he was innocent.

Because of her repeatedly running away, her failing grades, and missing lots of school (10-18 absences a trimester) and she had also cut herself - I have found it extremely difficult to discipline her at all. she had counseling, psych inpt (3 times)

She did move out in Jan to this friend's home. Anyway, she called to say she was now uncomfortable with what her friend's dad was saying/doing. She didn't want to come here tho. Too much stress.

What do I do? Force her here? She'll leave. I'm at a loss...


Good Morning,


If you feel comfortable contacting the Juvenile Department in your state of residence, they can provide you with assistance for an unruly teen.


Other options would be to look at residential treatment centers (of course a medical necessity criteria for that will have to be met) Find out if your insurance covers mental health residential treatment and get some referrals for her (to at least be evaluated for this level of care)

Dr. Rossi and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you