Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
14832673

today I found out that my 5 year daughter and her friend joe

today I found out that my 5 year daughter and her friend joe play a secret game called girlfriend where he kisses her on the lips and cheek, hugs her and sometimes does this while he is laying on top of her I told her that she is not allowed to play this game anymore and told her she should be very proud of herself for telling me about it.however I wonder how do i make sure that this is all that has happened and how do I get her to tell me if there is more
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi, first off, don't worry about this and don't make it sound like it's taboo to your daughter. They are normal developmental behaviors that kids their age do/play.
If you make it sound "wrong then she will grow up thinking it is. What you do is tell her that her body shouldn't be used as a toy, and that no one should be touching her or laying on top of her. Hugging and kissing isn't harmful at all and in a short time that curiosity will be over and they will be playing something else. It's age appropriate and a good segway for you to teach her about her body. Remember, she is five and she will only take as much information that she is cognitively able to understand. If you don't show anxiety over it she won't think much about it.
Please click accept and leave feedback. Thanks!