How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 20 years old. He lives with his girlfriend of 4

Resolved Question:

My son is 20 years old. He lives with his girlfriend of 4 years. They have a baby girl 7 months old. He has always appeared to be adhd. I have found out he uses alcohol and Marihuana. When I asked him he has all the answers as to why it is not a problem. I am an AA member for 16 years and so is his step dad for 22 years. He really admires and looks up to his step dad but his step dad does not believe in ADHD. My son does not want ritalin or any medication because he says when he did try it, this was worst. He has a lot of communication problems with his girlfriend even though I love her as my daughter also. Her mom was killed in a car accident and her dad is not involved in her life. I just don't know where to start I feel I have lost all control on being able to help them. My son and my daughter in law are very humble and respectfull to me but the most worry that I have is that my son can become an alcoholic. What should I do? Where do I start? my son has done so much research on Marihuana he thinks it should be legal and that he smokes it because otherwise he just can't sleep. He has so many excuses as to why he should be using this. Where can I show him the contrary or some tipe of information as to what it can do to him. He is always willing to listen. At this moment I don't have more money than this to offer but I have had this service before and love your response in any of the subjects. Please help me and If I can I will add funds to the account.

Thank you, Dora

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,


You have a valid concern for your son. The only thing that you can do is to encourage him to seek treatment (and you are right he has to want to do it)

There are different medications for ADHD not all stimulants. Perhaps he would be willing to be evaluated by a psychiatrist who can confirm or refute the diagnosis and advise him of the different medication options available now.

Use of marijuana is not legal and even though he believes it should be otherwise, the fact remains and is used in CA.

Maybe you and some other family members can have an intervention for him and yet once again, he has to want to seek help himself. You could also invite him to one of your AA meetings as a guest just to see what others share.

I have attached a link below about the side effects of the drug as listed by the Surgeon General at the Center for Disease Control website.

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 9/29/2009 at 12:44 AM EST
Dr. Rossi and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you