How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T-USA Your Own Question
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
T-USA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I wanted to find out how to go about getting my 19 year

Resolved Question:

Hello, I wanted to find out how to go about getting my 19 year old son Emancipated for college financing reasons? Is there a time frame that they require prior to submitting next years FAFSA?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  T-USA replied 8 years ago.
By reading further, you agree to and acknowledge the following:
1. You understand that laws vary drastically by state and country and that this answer does not constitute legal advice and that no attorney-client relationship is formed.
2. You understand that because no attorney-client relationship is formed, no attorney-client privilege exists and anything you have written could be used against you in court if discovered by an opposing party.
3. You understand that it is impossible for an attorney to provide complete and proper legal advice with JustAnswer and you therefore acknowledge that information provided on JustAnswer is not legal advice.
4. You understand that T-USA is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
5. You understand that T-USA is not providing you with legal services or advice.
6. You understand that T-USA is not agreeing to represent you in any legal matter and that no attorney-client privilege is formed.
7. You understand that you should consult, in person, with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state or the state in which your question's subject matter is taking place.

Generally, only minors can be emancipated. A 19 year old should be classified as an adult in the United States and therefore cannot be emancipated.

A person may show that he is an independent student if the person:
Is under 24 and both parents are deceased;
Was under the state's care until age 18;
Is 24 years old or older;
Is a veteran;
Is under 24 and both parents are deceased;
Was under the state's care until age 18;
Is homeless or at risk of homelessness;
Is enrolled in a Masters program, Doctorate Degree, or graduate Certification program;
Has dependents;
Is married;
Was emancipated as a child;
Was a foster child after 13 years of age;

The financial aid department of a school can make a decision to declare someone an independent student. However, this apparently takes a lot of documentation to show that the student actually is independent. Because you are asking about this information, you are clearly involved in your son's life and it seems unlikely that he will qualify for a change. However, it may be worth a shot.
The following link will provide you with more information about petitioning to change to independent status:
FAFSA supposedly assists with financial aid applications for a fee. However, I am not certain that their assistance will be helpful in achieving your goals:

Good luck!

Because I have provided you with a detailed, high-quality answer in an extremely timely manner, please ACCEPT my answer so that I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent assisting you. While bonuses are greatly appreciated for the exceptional information I provide, they are a gratuity and they are not required.
T-USA and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you