How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Teacher
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 21447
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 16 year old son that has been harrassed by a gang

Resolved Question:

I have a 16 year old son that has been harrassed by a gang for 2 years in school. It ended with a fight that my son was involved in and now the school board is trying to send him to an alternative school with the same gang members. This is the only fight he has been in he has been in since he has been in school. I do not want him to go because there is word that when he gets there, it is going to be a fight. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your son has been experiencing this problem for such a long time. If you had reported the troubles with this gang, to the teachers, Principal and/or School Board members, when the problem first started, it was the school's obligation to put an end to the harassment. Because the fight ensued, and because of the past harassment by these gang members, it would be ridiculous to send your son to the same alternative school where they were sent.

I recommend speaking to the School Board, if this is their decision, and explain the situation, fully, plus, request that if your son can no longer attend his regular school, that he be allowed to attend a different alternative school, or another High School close to where you live, even if you are not zoned for it; in extenuating circumstances, exceptions can be made.

I hope your son wasn't hurt in the fight, and that you're able to change his assignment to this particular alternative school.

Cher and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you