How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ms Chase Your Own Question
Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Ms Chase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son has returned from state re-hab and is causing

Customer Question

My 17 year old son has returned from state re-hab and is causing conflict within the household. What can I do? I want to throw him out, but need to know if that is legal in Maryland.He is also telling me that he owes a drug dealer $4000.00 What is my best course of action? I spoke to his probation officer today and she was no help and will not get involved. How do I know if my son really even owes this guy money? And should I pay him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

For the legal aspect of this question, you would need to be switched over to our legal section or open a question in that section for one of our lawyers to find out what/how you can put him out.

As for the debt he claims he owes to a drug dealer, I most certainly would not give him ANY money whatsoever. You don't know if he owes the guy money or not, either way he needs to be completely out of that lifestyle. The fact is, if he DOES owe some drug dealer money, his life could be in danger. If he DOESN"T owe the money, then he wants it for himself and could still be in danger.

Do you have any family out of town he could go and stay with for a while? If you were contemplating giving him 4k, have you thought about sending him to boarding or military school? Even though he's 17 he could probably get his ged and join the military, at least there they will not tolerate drug use and will get him help if he needs it.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.


The issue has been relayed to the local police and I await their thoughts. I cannot afford to send him to military school. The re-hab was paid for by the state. The kid he supposedly owes money to has been hanging around the next block over and probably will continue to.

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the response. I suspect the police will know how to deal with it, although depending on where you live, I'm not sure how high up the list it will be. If you have anything else you want to talk about, let me know. Do you need to be moved over to our legal category for more information?