How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Teacher
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 21416
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 13 yr old daughter is unruully,iv 3 other kids who are fine,she

Customer Question

my 13 yr old daughter is unruully,iv 3 other kids who are fine,she walked out yesterday after hitting and swearing at me,i know where she is,demanded she comes home but she just abused me what is my best way to deal with this
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

If your daughter is physically abusing you, with hitting, etc., this is very serious. She needs to learn how to control her temper and if she needs help doing this, beginning family therapy with just you and her, may be a good start. However, you might want a counselor to evaluate her first and have some sessions to try to determine where her underlying anger towards you, is coming from. After your daughter sees the therapist for a few sessions alone, then you can join in and talk out problems and get solutions to best handle this situation.

It's possible that your daughter may need medication to help her control her anger, if it's determined that there is an underlying medical or emotional problem which would benefit from such medication. This could be determined by testing by a qualified family therapist/psychologist who can order any necessary medical tests, and also perform psychological testing in the office.

For the moment, if you know your daughter is safe and with a family member or friend, let her stay there so you can both cool off, and then make arrangements for her to see a professional, in person, so both of you can receive help.

I wish you much good luck and hope things improve, soon!