How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ms Chase Your Own Question
Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Ms Chase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to create a contract for my nineteen who is in ...

Resolved Question:

I want to create a contract for my nineteen who is in college. She wants and needs a car, however she has this idea that chores at home are not meant for her to do. Partly, I guess due to the fact she has been sick the majority of her life growing up and we had done alot for her. However, she has a job for the summer and came home when she could to work during the fall and spring. Is there such a contract I can legally create?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.
Hello Lulu,

Are you looking to do a family contract, where if she breaks the rules, then she will lose privileges? or the right to her car? Those types of contracts aren't 'legal' contract per say, but family contracts. The only person who can enforce them is you, and only if you have something you can hold against the child, like the car being in your name, etc. Let me know if this is what you mean.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the car will be in the parent's names until she graduates from college. Right now she is using having to keep her job because she will have a car. We do not want her to work in college unless it is work study because she needs to concentrate on schoolwork. Last school term, she kept her job by working maybe once or twice a month when she came home. She needs access to a car because once a week she has to go to another town which is 15 to 20 miles away to get her allergy shots.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.
Hello Lulu,

I double checked with one of our legal experts to be sure that a lawyer was not needed in this situation. As I said before, this is a typical parent-child agreement. You can write up the rules as simplistically as possible, stating the facts. You state what you want in return for use of the car, and what you are willing to give (the car) in exchange for following certain rules (which you list). Both parties should try to be fair. I would even put how many times someone can drop their end before anything would happen (if she fails to do her chores one weekend, then you can give her a warning. The second warning you will take the car for a week, the third warning and you take it for two weeks and so on) There should be an end date where you no longer hold the title, and she owns the car, and you stipulate that as well (will she make payments? who will take over the insurance?) This is really a good idea and a great lesson for a child because they can get an understanding of how contracts work, and the consequences. Also they get the feeling of keeping their word. Don't forget to sign and date it, and yes, it would hold up in court. Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions.

Ms Chase and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you