How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ms Chase Your Own Question
Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Ms Chase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

17 year old daughter potentially doing drugs

Resolved Question:

Could be just attitude but she is getting bad grades. Doesn''t want to go to school. Has a lot of physical ailments such as back problems, nose, nasil pluggage, high and lows, complains about itching to the point of almost bleeding at times ect. I wanted to get her tested for drugs at a recent Dr. visit but my wife just thought it would offend her. any thoughts
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.


She is your child....there's no such thing as offending her, because she is not just your child but your responsibility. If she is doing drugs, then she has lost her sense of responsibility. If she's not doing drugs, then she has nothing to worry about, you'll look like the bad guy as usual, but at least you'll know she's not using drugs. If she is using drugs and you never tested her, and she gets into worse trouble, you'll always wish you had of tested her. Additionally, it's her own behavior that is causing you to want to do this. If she was getting good grades and doing well as you know she can, you might not have suggested it. Either way, she has to take the responsibility for her actions.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more


Ms Chase and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.


On another note, Charlene (another JA expert) suggested that you might be able to have the doctor do the bloodwork and not tell her (daughter) what it was for. This way she wouldn't be offended....if you found out there were no drugs or were drugs, you would know where to go from there.