Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
1042561

My sisters baby has a bad rash on her vagina

Customer Question

My sister's baby has a bad rash on her vagina area. The rash started about 4 days ago, and has spread quite quickly; it started on her vagina, and now it's moving farther down, into her bum area. She can tell it bothers her, because everytime she give's her a bath, she scratches at it. She took her to the emergency yesterday, and the doc on call said it was a yeast infection, and she gave her cream for it, but every time she puts the cream on her, her baby starts to cry. What is this rash?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 11 years ago.

Hi Connie,

All humans have a harmless amount of yeast in our bodies, it lives in our mouth, bowels, skin, and of course for women, the vagina. The problems occur when this small amount of yeast becomes unbalances and goes into overdrive.

What usually sets it off is antibiotics (either the baby taking them or the mother taking them, and they pass thru the breast milk). If the baby had thrush, a form of east infection, it could wind up as a yeast infection on the bum as well, when it travels thru the digestive system and come out in the feces.

The absolute best way for this to clear up quickly is to keep the area dry. Change diapers more often, apply the cream and add a huge dollop of vaseline on top of it, spread all over....this will help prevent the actual skin from getting wet. Do this a few times a day, and it should clear up in a week if you are diligent with the cream and the vaseline.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask, it costs nothing to click reply. If this has helped, please remember to click the green accept button.

Warmly,

Chase