Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing persistent numbness for the past three or…

Customer Question
Hello,I am experiencing persistent numbness...
Hello,I am experiencing persistent numbness for the past three or four days from my left knee to my ankle, intermittent numbness on my right palm, and occasionally my left elbow and arm. I've been having my arm fall asleep more than normal. Within the past ten days I was on several flights, including two 8.5 hr flights. When the numbness first set in, I experienced diarrhea and fever. I'm feeling better now in terms of those symptoms. I have scar tissue on my left leg between my knee and ankle from an accident that occurred a year ago. I am wondering if scar tissue and flights commonly have this kind of reaction, or if I should seek ER care. My blood pressure is 150/98 with 65 pulse and I feel alright otherwise.. What are your thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Orthopedics
5/26/2018
Orthopedist: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience,I will help with your query.Economy class syndrome,long hours spent in a cramped up seat may be responsible for your problems,anxiety and stress are also known to cause such symptoms.Your BP is elevated ,the diastolic reading of 98 is high and needs looking into.Awkward posture leading to pressure on the sensory nerves can cause such numbness,a check up of Vitamin B12 levels will help.A physical check up will be helpful ,but the only serious related problems with frequent flights are Deep Vein thrombosis which does not seem to be a problem in your case.