Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a gout attack which is new to me. I took 1.2mg…

Customer Question
Hi. I just had a...
Hi. I just had a gout attack which is new to me. I took 1.2mg colchichine at first sign, then .6 an hour later but I'm not sure when the usual next dose is supposed to be taken and my doctor is on vacation. Could you advise?
Thanks!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
4/3/2018
Orthopedist: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Thank you for waiting
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The usual dose is 1.2 mg. / day. (.6 mg twice daily)

In acute attack, you can take .6 mg. after 1 hour of taking 1.2 mg. as loading dose.
Now you can take .6 mg. twice daily next day.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

It's 10am here. I should not take at 10pm tonight? Only 10am tomorrow morning for next dose?

How is the pain now?

Did you take any other medicine?

It's in my ankle, very painful to walk. I took Advil as well
My last acute attack was 3 months ago in same spot but it never really healed. It healed somewhat until I could walk again but never completely. Always some pain until today's usual pain turned into a major attack

Yes, you can take .6 mg. at 10 AM tomorrow.
You can continue Advil or Motrin, meanwhile.

There are a few medicines which can lower uric acid level.
Those are allopurinol, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone, febuxostat.

You can discuss with your doctor when he comes back from vacation.

Ok thank you.

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.