Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday I sneezed and heard a pop cracking noise. The

sharp pain brought me to...
Yesterday I sneezed and heard a pop cracking noise. The sharp pain brought me to my knees and now I can’t lift my left arm or do really anything without pain there is a bulge on my left side and under my left breasT it looks like it’s caving in. A bit of history, I have lupus. I get about 3 flairs a year. But nothing like this has ever happened. I had the flu about 3 weeks ago.. had the lingering cough. The cough one morning started to make me feel tightness in my chest and severe pain whenever I did much of anything. Breathing deep, any exercise, picking up my daughter etc. I thought maybe pneumonia but with no other symptoms (I.e fever, chills, tiredness etc) it seemed unlikely. The cough is cleared up but still the pain was present. It was not completely debilitating but it does interfere with everyday activities. Then yesterday the sneeze and cracking pop and the bulge/swelling have left me unable to move my arm or do much of anything without pain.
3/20/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

where was the pop coming from?

My left side right under my breast possibly rib cage.
Honestly...it was right around my heart. I hate to say this cus it’s the heart and that seems really bad. But it wasn’t my heart but in that area

It wasn't the heart

it was probably your pectoral muscle attachment

do you take steroids?

can I see a picture of the area?

Not right now. I hate the steroids they put me on so I only take them when I am in a flare. Let me take a photo and I will send it
Second opinion] Yesterday I sneezed and heard a pop cracking noise. The sharp pain brought me to my knees and now I can’t lift my left arm or do really anything without pain there is a bulge on my left side and under my left breasT it looks like it’s caving in. A bit of history, I have lupus. I getabout 3 flairs a year. But nothing like this has ever happened. I had the flu about 3 weeks ago.. had the lingering cough. The cough one morning started to make me feel tightness in my chest and severe pain whenever I did much of anything. Breathing deep, any exercise, picking up my daughter etc. I thought maybe pneumonia but with no other symptoms (I.e fever, chills, tiredness etc) it seemed unlikely. The cough is cleared up but still the pain was present. It was not completely debilitating but it does interfere with everyday activities. Then yesterday the
Sorry don’t know why it sent you my question again but there are the photos I took

sorry about the late reply

I think you separated a rib

you need xrays of the chest and rib ASAP

sorry again

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician