Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has been diagnosed to have EDS-HT. She also has…

My daughter has been diagnosed...
My daughter has been diagnosed to have EDS-HT. She also has stenosis of the cervical spine (bone spurs) that causes severe pain in her arm and shoulder.Can your clinic help and what should we do (she is 41 years old).
Answered in 1 day by:
3/19/2018
neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified Physician

Hello -

This is an informational website, and not associated with an orthopedic surgical clinic.

However, we can help to answer questions -

Has she had a MRI of the cervical spine?

Has she been seen by a spine surgeon?

she had an mri and the orthopedic surgeon hesitated to recommend surgery because of EDS-HT increases the risk. But the pain is very bad and pain medications are less effective in EDS-HT patients. It seems to me that surgery will have to be done because she cannot live with so much pain for very long. Any suggestions?

Well -

If the pain is that bad -- and there is clearly a reason for the pain on the MRI (a herniated disc, stenosis, or instability) -- then surgery can be helpful.

Yes, she would be at higher risk because of her underlying disorder, but given the benefit to risk ratio, surgery seems to make sense.

It is actually relatively common for patients with EDS to have/need cervical spine surgery because of instability in the neck (which causes pain) because of the underlying hypermobility which can affect the joints in the neck.

neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified Physician