Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a car accident last September and sustained multiple…

I had a car accident...
I had a car accident last September and sustained multiple injuries. I am having persistent pain and stiffness in my right third digit PIP joint with flexion. ROM is considerably improved but not back to where it was pre-accident. Early CR and T2 MRI reports were WNL- ie, "normal hand". My orthopedist has never treated it, saying that its probably just a ligament sprain and Ill be fine. Is this reasonable? I am a dental hygienist and I cannot work this way.
typo: should say early XR and 2T MRIadditionally, the joint is not grossly deformed but it is visibly larger than the opposing hand.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for your patience.
I understand that you have been waiting for a long time to get an answer.
I am Dr. Sawhney and Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I just came online and saw your question lying unanswered on the question list. I am replying to it as soon as possible.
PIP joints are notorious for stiffness post any injury.
It is possible that you have sustained a ligament injury which has caused the pain and stiffness along with enlargement around the joint.
Another possible cause of persistent pain and stiffness can be damage to the cartilage or volar plate which can be missed on X Ray and MRI.
As it has been 6 months since the injury you need to get a fresh X-rays as that may be able to show any loss of cartilage at this stage.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Thank you for your reply, Doctor. What is the treatment and diagnostic protocol in such cases? Ate you suggesting a new xray, or a new MRI? Given that my doctor was dismissive and didn't order new imaging, is it worth a second opinion ?
What is the range of motion at your PIP joint and does it pain at terminal flexion or is it painful all through the range of motion?
It is the third digit and i cant close my hand more than this without pain. It is stiff throughout the flexion but pain only at terminal.
One addition
Please excuse the delay.
I got busy in an emergency surgery and could not reply earlier.
As you have almost complete range of motion with loss of terminal flexion as you suggest that you try physiotherapy to get the lost motion and relief from stiffness.
Any intervention has a risk of causing greater stiffness and loss of motion.
Do get an xray to see the status of joint but focus should be on getting back full flexion.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thank you very much for the information. Have a great day. I will see about the xray.