Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am having some trouble with my knee. It has been bothering…

Customer Question
I am having some...

I am having some trouble with my knee. It has been bothering me for a few weeks. It is a pain on the interior side of the knee, kind of a dull pain i guess. It is especially bad when I have been sitting still and start walking again. However it is getting worse and is now hurting all the time. I have insurance, but it is new insurance and I can not seem to get an appointment with any doctors for several months. Is this something worth going to urgent care for?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Not really any swelling that ive noticed, just increased pain. The longer I sit or lay down, the worse it is when I stand up. After walking for a while, the pain decreases a little...but like I said, it seems to get progressively more painful with time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The same knee has been injured previously several years ago, just strains and sprains associated with sports. Also, the genesis of the pain started when I went bowling with some friends several weeks ago. Nothing else I can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Orthopedics
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Orthopedist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 1 month ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Any trauma involve here?

Any clicking or locking of your knee?

Any swelling or bruising?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont know about trauma per se...it just started to hurt while I was bowling with friends and has gotten progressively worse with time. It does click every time i straighten my leg all the way, but no locking. I have not noticed any swelling or bruising, but when I touch the interior side of the knee, it does feel like a bruise, just no color.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was no direct blow to my knee or fall or anything like that

There's a couple of possible things going on here--

You may have a meniscal cartilage tear

You probably have a bursitis problem

For now you could try topical capsaicin cream and oral ibuprofen

But it would be best to see an urgent care doctor for an exam and a knee MRI to evaluate this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor