Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A baby 11 months old has 1 femur fracture and 1 tibia

Customer Question
fracture on the right leg,1...
A baby 11 months old has 1 femur fracture and 1 tibia fracture on the right leg,1 tibia fracture on the left leg,all of the fractures are incomplete.The fractures are probably caused by either a direct blow or impact or indirect axial loading of the limb by falling from a height onto the feet withthe legs in extension.Please check the attached photos to show how the baby fell from the kitchen working surface,does this mechanism would probably result in these 3 fractures?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
3/11/2018
Orthopedist: drphophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

These bone fracture can be due to a medical condition called as osteogenesis imperfecta.

There is osteoporosis of bone which fractures easily. It is also called brittle bone disease. Please read about it;

http://www.oif.org/site/PageNavigator/AOI_Facts.html

The other condition to look for would be marble bone disease. It is a rare disease. Please read about it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636194/

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

yes, a fall in the kitchen from a counter top of a 11 month old baby could have caused these fractures.

what was the baby doing on a counter top like that? that is pretty negligent of the parent

Please check the attached photos to show how the baby fell from the kitchen working surface,does this mechanism would probably result in these 3 fractures at the same time?

yes, that short of fall could cause those fractures.