Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A baby 11 months old has 1 femur fracture and 1 tibia

Customer Question
fracture on the right leg,1...
A baby 11 months old has 1 femur fracture and 1 tibia fracture on the right leg,1 tibia fracture on the left leg,all of the fractures are incomplete.The fractures are probably caused by either a direct blow or impact or indirect axial loading of the limb by falling from a height onto the feet withthe legs in extension.Please check the attached photos to show how the baby fell from the kitchen working surface,does this mechanism would probably result in these 3 fractures?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Orthopedics
3/11/2018
Orthopedist: drphophalia, Doctor replied 1 month ago
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

These bone fracture can be due to a medical condition called as osteogenesis imperfecta.

There is osteoporosis of bone which fractures easily. It is also called brittle bone disease. Please read about it;

http://www.oif.org/site/PageNavigator/AOI_Facts.html

The other condition to look for would be marble bone disease. It is a rare disease. Please read about it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636194/

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

yes, a fall in the kitchen from a counter top of a 11 month old baby could have caused these fractures.

what was the baby doing on a counter top like that? that is pretty negligent of the parent

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please check the attached photos to show how the baby fell from the kitchen working surface,does this mechanism would probably result in these 3 fractures at the same time?

yes, that short of fall could cause those fractures.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician