Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My son received a CT scan with contrast (myelogram) on

Hi, my son received a...
Hi, my son received a CT scan with contrast (myelogram) on 02/01/2018. Attached is the imaging interpretation to the Back doctor at Southern Orthopedics in Brunswick GA. The doctor referred my son to another doctor for a series of three epidernal steroid injections for Spinal Stenosis two weeks apart. What we dont really know is what the imaging report says. In laymans terms, can you explain what the report says relative to the conditions? We are trying to determine if the conditions meet the SSA Blue Book definitions of permanent disability. My son recently moved here (Brunswick GA) from Colorado where he had Medicaid insurance. He has applied here in GA but the process takes 45-60 days. His back doctor is not providing him the needed care because at the moment he is considered indigent because his practice does the same injections he is referring my son to another physician to receive. The second report is from Dr Buchanan who performed previous back surgeries on my son and inserted two screws in his spine as explained in the report. We also need to know if between the two reports the precise nature of the medical conditions as it related to a permanent disability for him. further if the the latest report shows a health decline from one or both conditions. Please help! Thank you.
3/9/2018
neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified Physician

Hello -

The CT myelogram report shows that there is still a bulging disc at the L3-4 level, on the left side, which causes severe narrowing.

This could "pinch" the left L3 or L4 nerve, and cause pain that comes from the back and wraps around the left hip to the front of the left thigh.

The area of his previous fusion surgery, L4-5-S1 appears to be fine, according to the report.

Disability is a harder issue to prove, as it still appears there is a condition in the spine (at L3-4) that could be improved with further intervention. A surgeon who looks at the CT myelogram, and says "there is nothing else that can be done", along with a pain management doctor who says the same thing will help his primary care doctor in applying for disability -- but based on the CT myelogram, there still may be help for him.

Best of luck.

neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified Physician