Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

MRI recieved today... Hip joint: Chondral thinning of the…

Customer Question
MRI recieved today...Hip joint: Chondral...
MRI recieved today...Hip joint: Chondral thinning of the femoral head and acetabulum with
probable focal high-grade fissure in the superior acetabulum. Normal
femoral head neck contour.Labrum: Linear signal abnormality within the anterior labrum at the
chondro-labral junction possibly representative of a nondisplaced
tear. Abnormal signal and morphologic appearance of the superior
labrum suggesting labral degeneration. No evidence of displaced labral
fragments.Myotendinous structures: Intermediate to high grade insertional tear
of the gluteus minimus tendon measuring approximately 2.3 cm. Mild to
moderate greater trochanteric bursitis bilaterally. Focal linear
signal abnormality at the adductor plate on the right suggesting tear.Other osseous structures: Mild edema within the symphysis pubis
consistent with osteitis pubis. Mild degenerative disease of lower
lumbar spine.IMPRESSION: 1. Motion degraded examination demonstrates mild
osteoarthritic change of the right hip with degeneration of the
superior labrum and probable nondisplaced tear the chondro-labral
junction of the anterior labrum. 2. Intermediate to high grade
insertional tear of the gluteus minimus tendon on the right. 3. Focal
signal abnormality involving the adductor plate on the right
suggesting tear. The seen in the setting of sports hernia/athletic
pubalgia. 4. Mild/moderate greater trochanteric bursitis bilaterally.
5. Mild osteitis pubis. ______________________________________
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
3/8/2018
Orthopedist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hello again,

I will explain the findings or rather what the findings of your MRI mean for you,

1. Motion degraded examination demonstrates a mild osteoarthritic change of the right hip with degeneration of the superior labrum and probable nondisplaced tear the chondro-labral junction of the anterior labrum.

This finding basically means that you have developed MILD arthritis of the hip joint. The labrum of the hip joint is a small ring of cartilage which surrounds the socket of the hip joint itself. When arthritis develops the labrum may degenerate over time leading to problems like pain and stiffness. In your case, there is mild degeneration of the labrum ALONG WITH a small tear in the front of the labrum. Usually, small tears like these don't need to be repaired immediately, they can be monitored and managed with medications, if they don't improve then surgery may be needed.

2. Intermediate to high-grade insertional tear of the gluteus minimus tendon on the right.

This indicates that one of the tendons of the muscles of the buttocks is torn. This tear seems to be moderate to severe in nature. Now usually moderate tears like these would need injections of steroids or even PRP (platelet-rich plasma) over a period of few weeks which should help them heal however if they don't, then again surgery would be required.

3. Focal signal abnormality involving the adductor plate on the right suggesting tear. The seen in the setting of sports hernia/athletic pubalgia.

There is another tear in the region of the thigh or rather groin. As the report points out this sort of injury is commonly seen in patients who are athletic or are involved in sports more often than not. However, it can also develop in patients who don't participate in sports because of any other form of trauma.

4. Mild/moderate greater trochanteric bursitis bilaterally.

This finding indicates that the bursae (fluid-filled sacs in the joints which help in the movement of the bones on top of each other) are inflamed in both hip joints. Again usually this does not need surgery as steroid injections would help reduce the inflammation in this situation along with anti-inflammatory medications like meloxicam or ibuprofen.

5. Mild osteitis pubis

This is a finding which indicates that the main joint of the pelvic bone, symphysis pubis, is inflamed. The pelvic bone is made of right and left side which is joined in the middle at a joint known as symphysis pubis. It can be inflamed after trauma or injury and usually would subside with conservative management (medications).

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What about the fissure in the superior acetabulum? I don’t see a comment about that, did I overlook it?
The fissure is part of the osteoarthritic changes in the hip joint. These sort of fissures can develop when osteoarthritic changes occur in the hip joint.
So basically when I explained the osteoarthritic changes in the hip joint the fissure was a part of those changes.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today