Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My husband needs a new hip he is 53. He first was diagnosed…

My husband needs a new...
My husband needs a new hip he is 53. He first was diagnosed as beginning spinal stenosis, sent to PT for that but the PT told him, no it's your hip. We disagree on if his pain is caused by his hip or back. His most severe pain seems to occur soon after getting into bed or during the night, he often screams out in pain. His pain can be just one area or a combination of areas including, shins, thighs, groin, knees, just above the buttocks, and lower back. The lower back does not seem to cause the extreme pain that the other areas do. He has seen a rheumatologists who could find no cause for his pain. I think a hip replacement can cure most if not all of his pain. Can you back me up on this?. He is on a prescription daily anti inflammatory and has heavy pain meds that he tries not to take. He also is not sleeping well. He has had several cortisone shots in his hip over the last 3 years, but they really don't seem to work anymore.
Basically which of these painful areas can be caused by his bad hip?
2/14/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Sawhney an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today. I need some more information.
Has he had X rays of his hips and lower spine?
Has he had MRI of lumbar sacral spine?
Is he able to walk some distance without pain?
xrays and MRI of hip and lower back, hip is bone on bone, lower back showed small start of spinal stenosis, no he really can't walk to far, our daily walks used to be 2 miles now we go less than 1/2 and he starts complaining.
can shin, calf, thigh, knee and some back pain be caused by bad hip joint?
Thank you for your reply.
His pain in full of the lower extremity can be caused by hip arthritis lower back pain is not likely to be due to hip arthritis.
If his hip is bone to bone and he gets pain in bed during night time his hip needs to be replaced.
Night time pain is not a feature of stenosis.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
could back pain be caused or worsened because of how he is limping and his body is compensating for the bad hip?
Thank you for the positive rating.
Stress is placed on the back when gair pattern becomes abnormal. Therefore his limp can certainly increase his back pain.