Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having Osteoarthritis in my knee for about two…

I have been having Osteoarthritis...
I have been having Osteoarthritis in my knee for about two years now. I was given two types of shots in my knee which didn’t make any difference. Now my knee is stiff and I feel excruciating pain when trying to bend it for basic everyday activities. I want to know if there is any type of physical therapy or medication that would help me out. I don’t live in the USA and doctors are saying that Osteoarthritis doesn’t have any treatment and that there is nothing I can do so they did nothing and gave me nothing other than useless shots in my knee.
I have attached my Xrays
2/11/2018
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am reviewing the x-rays and writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

You have advanced osteoarthritis.

Following collectively would be recommended;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joints. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joints.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

Your doctor may need to prescribe you Tramadol.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

First of all I just want to say WOW thank you so much this is just amazing this is more advice than all the doctors I went to in personNow I want to ask What brands of the following do you suggest: 1- Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements 2- analgesic spray 3- anti-inflammatory medicationsAnd finally, as you have reciewd my Xrays, I want to say I would prefer not to have a surgery but based on the xray do I have to get a surgery or would I be good following the things that you gave me as long as the pain is much less or managable.

Pain should be significantly manageable.

The knee replacement surgery is recommended, if you have following;

a) Failure of conservative treatment, we have discussed.

b) Pain even in rest.

c) Pain in night time.

d) Excruciating or progressive pain.

You can use any good brand of supplements, spray and anti inflammatory medications as ingredients are same. Your local pharmacist would be able to help you out to identify the good company / brand.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor