Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I need both foot and knee surgery. I am scheduled for knee…

I need both foot...

I need both foot and knee surgery. I am scheduled for knee surgery next week but am afraid foot surgery later might be a problem. I am not sure which to do first. 3 places in my foot...weeks of no weight bearing

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Total knee replacement

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No..thats it

2/9/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for your question. I amCustomeran Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today. I am reviewing your question and would respond shortly.
I have not been able to bend my knee for 2 weeks and lots of pain...and getting PT now to loosen it up before surgery. On my foot..same leg... I have a bone spur broken off, and have worn splints and had injections. I have put off both surgerys because I am afraid of blood clots and not walking again. Now I am not sure which to do first but the knee is the worst problem right now.
I cannot afford more right now.

Please ignore the phone call request.It is an automated message from the website.We can continue to chat here.

Are you going to have knee replacement?
ok... thank you. The foot surgeon wants to do an achilles tendon repair... and there are two other surgeries.. bottom of my foot.. the spur and a neuroma under my toes... all of which require no weight bearing to heal.. well, at least one. I am not sure on the other two. If I have the total knee which is scheduled will I mess it up to do the foot later? That is my biggest question
total knee replacement. I have told both surgeons about the other problem. At first the knee doc said do the foot 1st but now he scheduled surgery and I didn't mention my foot again accept to PT...they said it should be no problem but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
The knee replacement would not interfere with the foot surgeries you plan to have in the future.
You will need to give adequate time between the knee replacement and foot surgeries so that you have good rehabilitation and have good function of your new knee before going in for foot surgery.
You should also not get afraid of blood clots as only a small proportion of patients get it and if good prophylaxis is followed which may include chemical prophylaxis in form of anticoagulant injections and mechanical prophylaxis in form of calf pumps and gradient pressure stockings risk is lowered even further.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
ok so I would keep my mobility in my knee if later I had foot surgery you are saying? Can I do knee exersizes without weight bearing so it won't be so stiff and still be ok? I promise that is my last question for now. I was just freaking out afraid I might be making a big mistake that I can't change so thank you so much for helping me!
You can exercise your knee without weight bearing to maintain the range of motion.
I also said that they should be sufficient time interval between the two surgeries and once you have got a good knee range of motion it is unlikely that you will lose it later when you are non weight bearing after foot surgery.
ok.....I understand the time between surgeries and I will check with both surgeons about that and the prevention of blood clots too. Thank you again... you are on my favs list and now I can get a good night's rest and quit worrying!
Thanks and best of luck.
Still have my surgery scheduled for day after tomorrow so thank you for the advice
Thanks and best of luck. Wishing you a prompt recovery.