Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I mildly rolled my ankle to the outside last night. Hurt for…

I mildly rolled my ankle...
I mildly rolled my ankle to the outside last night. Hurt for a minute or so and then it was fine. This morning I had this pain in the center of my calf muscle. It’s a sharp pain that gets worse when I flex it or touch/press on that muscle. I did go to my chiropractor today who adjusted my hip, knee and ankle joint. He mentioned a couple muscles in my lower leg were tight and advised I stretch them. My ankle/foot is a little sore now and my calf is the same. My concern is of course a blood clot but there is no swelling/redness/ or warm spots. I read about high ankle sprains, can it be as high as the middle of the calf muscle-half way between the ankle and the knee? Or is this not ankle related? I’ve also had recently a pinched nerve that was causing pain down my hip and outside of the lower leg. What could this be calf pain be from?
2/1/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for you question.
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I am reviewing your question and would respond shortly.
High ankle sprain is not that high. It is located just above the ankle joint.
This is not likely to be blood clot or deep vein thrombosis.
Most likely this is a strain of the Gastroscoleus muscle of calf.
You need to apply ice compresses to the area to decrease any information associated with muscle sprain.
You may also take an anti-inflammatory like Advil.
Pain in this area can also be due to a pinched nerve in lower back but considering the history of ankle twisting this is more likely to be a muscle sprain.
Feel free to ask any follow question.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Can twisting your ankle cause a muscle sprain?
it can as leg muscles in the calf try to stabilize the ankle joint at the time of twisting.
The pinched nerve in my leg, can I use ice to help with the nerve pain? Do I ice where it hurts or do I have to ice where it’s pinched?

Ice compress can be used in the area where it pains.It will help with pain due to a pinched nerve as well as with pain due to muscle strain.

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon