Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had a BTKR about 8 years ago. Every once in a while my…

Customer Question
I had a BTKR about...
I had a BTKR about 8 years ago. Every once in a while my knees swell really bad, I run a temperature and I can't bend or straighten my leg. Very difficult to walk. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
1/9/2018
Orthopedist: Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon replied 5 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr. Sawhney an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I am reviewing your question and would respond shortly.
Thank you
I feel that you may be having a component of infection which would need to be ruled out.
During the phase of knee swelling and fever you should have blood test including ESR and CRP done to determine the inflammatory status.
In addition the knee joint should be aspirated and the fluid examined for any infection using blood counts and other tests. Latest test by name of leukocyte esterase test can be done using a test strip and is found to be quite accurate in diagnosing knee joint infection.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
My temperature is normal now. I still have a lot of stiffness in my knee and swelling. I am having a hard time walking and bending my knee. Thank you for your quick response
I would suggest that you use ice packs around the knee to decrease pain and swelling.
In addition you may use anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon