Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

Asked a previous question about planter fasciitis and have…

Customer Question
asked a previous question about...
asked a previous question about planter fasciitis and have sent for the DVD. Next question is for my husband who had a hip replacement 1995 and suffers with extreme cramps in upper thighs. Any suggestions? he is 77 and walks like a penquin but not sure that has any bearing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Orthopedics
1/4/2018
Orthopedist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your husband.

I am sorry to hear about your husband’s health in the form of extreme muscle cramps in the upper thighs. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all what causes these types of muscle cramps?

Muscle cramps are produced by several different health conditions and the following are examples of such health conditions that can cause severe muscle cramps;

Severe dehydration

Electrolyte disturbances (especially deficiency of calcium, magnesium, potassium etc)

Spine conditions like spinal stenosis, or disc or arthritis in the spine resulting in pinched spinal nerves

Poor circulation (Circulation disorders)

Primary muscle damage (such as myopathies)

Primary nerve damage (such as neuropathies)

Neuromuscular disorders (involving both nerves and muscles)

Thyroid diseases

Certain other endocrine diseases

Excessive or abnormal amounts of stress

Liver or kidney diseases

Autoimmune connective tissue disorders etc

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in your husband’s case, I am trying to provide you with a list like this because these are the various possibilities we see in our clinic when someone presents with extreme muscle cramps in the upper thing region.

This needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these muscle cramps. In this regard he may try to see a Neurologist so that he can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too – such investigations may include one or more of the following tests;

Thyroid function tests

Electrolyte levels in the blood including that of calcium, magnesium, potassium etc

Liver and kidney related blood tests

Blood tests to check muscle enzymes such as CPK, Aldolase etc

Autoimmune connective tissue disorder workup including ESR, CRP, RA factor, ANA etc

Tests for circulation disorder that may include a Doppler Ultrasound or Angiogram study

Neuromuscular diseases workup including an EMG/Nerve Conduction study (a test for nerves & muscles), an MRI Scan of the spine

Sometimes an MRI scan of the thigh muscle too may be required to look for local muscle pathologies

These above mentioned investigations will help in finding the cause for these extreme muscle cramps and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Not all the above investigations are necessary for each & every patient. A thorough clinical examination by the Neurologist in the clinic will help in narrowing down the above possibilities to just one or only few conditions and then carefully chosen investigations from the above mentioned list will help in clinching the final diagnosis. And once a final diagnosis is obtained it will be treated accordingly.

In the meantime for the symptomatic treatment of these severe cramps he may try one or more of the following treatments;

Taking adequate rest and avoiding straining the leg/thigh muscles as much as possible

Heat or Cold therapy in the form of hot or cold compresses

Epson salt compress

Massaging the muscles

Gentle stretching exercises of the muscles

Over the counter pain relieving topical creams or sprays (also called as Muscle Rubs) such as Biofreeze, or Myoflex, or Penetrex

Stronger prescription anti-inflammatory pain relieving pills such as Tramadol

Muscle relaxants such as Tizanidine or Baclofen, or Dantrolene

Over the counter Electrolyte preparations (containing magnesium, potassium & calcium)

Over the counter Tonic water preparation (contains quinine)

If over the counter tonic water does not help then prescription Quinine preparations

One of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline

Narcotic or opioid pain killers such as Lortab or Percocet

Electrotherapies such as TENS or Interferential therapy

Cold laser therapy

Hot fomentation

Short wave diathermy

Infra-red light therapy

Ultrasound therapy

A course of physical therapy etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in his case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you guys are familiar with various treatment options that are available for his muscle condition and he may try to use them as necessary. If you guys see any of the above treatments he has already tried please disregard them and he may explore the treatment options which he may have not yet tried.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities as mentioned earlier above that can cause this type of extreme muscle cramps your husband has been experiencing

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a Neurologist followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned earlier above (Certain specific blood tests including muscle enzymes, a Nerve & muscle test, an MRI scan, a Circulation tests etc) can help us in finding out the precise cause for this type of extreme muscle cramps and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime he may try some of the treatments mentioned earlier above and these can help him in providing relief from these extreme muscle cramps

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so you guys please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so he may try to see a Neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed earlier above which will help him with the best outcome & best results and quick resolution and relief from these bothersome, annoying extremely severe muscle cramps in the upper thigh region he is unfortunately tortured with.

Wishing your husband a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you guys the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, How is your husband feeling now? Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above related to your husband, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)