Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My wrist aches from time to time and sometimes I feel it…

Customer Question
My wrist aches from time...
My wrist aches from time to time and sometimes I feel it almost as if it's pinching a nerve. Will I need surgery for this? Should I see a doctor or it's nothing really that can be done now?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Orthopedist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Do you work on computer or use mobile for long hours?

Do you have severe pain in wrist?

Pain in neck, which radiates to arm?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

I use a mobile phone a lot. I have no neck pain that radiates to my arm. Sometimes my arm has felt warm in the past but that isn't happening at the moment.
It's not severe but bothers from time to time.

Dear,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Well, such symptoms can occur due to repetitive stress/ carpal tunnel syndrome.

Your doctor may suggest, Electromyography test, It can check how median nerve is being compressed and the effect it is having on your symptoms.

The line of treatment is-

1. Wrist splint. It has to be worn at night to support the wrist and keep it in the same position.
2. The use of Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen, also helps in relief from the symptoms.
3. Physical therapy will also be helpful. It includes- Short wave diathermy, Infra red, Wax therapy.
4. Also the use of Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), is very helpful.
5. In case, symptoms doesn't improve then Corticosteroids can be prescribed. Sometimes, anti-depressant drugs are even prescribed to get rid of numbness.
6. You should avoid over exposure to cold temperature.

It is too early to think for surgery. Your symptoms would improve with measures, as discussed above.

Please follow above measures, and consult your doctor for further evaluation.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh