Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I think I have a stress fracture in my tibia. I have pain…

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have a stress fracture in my tibia

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have joint pain or swelling? Does it improve with ice and elevation?

I have pain that comes and goes almost a throbbing and then a sharp pain even during rest that is about a 7 out of 10. There’s a spot on my tibia where I have localized pain and is tender to the touch

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

About a month and if I run it gets worse

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
12/18/2017
Orthopedist: drphophalia, Doctor replied 2 months ago
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Did this spot precipitate after any unusual activity?

Are you on any medications?

21 and female
I noticed pain after I ran in my cheerleading shoes on a hard wood floor and I thought it was shin splints but it hasn’t gone away and now it comes even when I’m resting.
I am only on previfem birth control

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

A stress fracture in your age group is on very high intensity exercises for a significantly prolonged time.

While this cannot be entirely ruled out (so an x-ray would be required), but it can be a myofascial trigger point also.

Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I am scheduling an MRI this week as recommended by my primary care doctor. Can I ask another question about another injury?

Yes, you can, please.

MRI would be good.

approxiamtely two years ago I was told I had a partial year of my TFCC diagnosed by MRI. I was put in a brace and then they said I was fine. I still have horrible pain in the ulnar side of my wrist when lifting things, and when I’m not doing anything. I wake up with half my hand numb and sometimes I cannot move it when I wake up due to the pins and needles or the pain. I got another MRI in may for it and they said the tfcc was frayed and that I was fine again, but I am still in a lot of pain

This will need a prolonged physical therapy and deep electrotherapy.

Physical therapy entails;

Early stretching exercises; passive and than active after two weeks.

Against resistance exercises.

Exercises with weight.

All these may take 3 months to resolve your symptoms.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor