Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I work on a computer roughly 10-12 hours a day and a few…

Customer Question
I work on a computer...
I work on a computer roughly 10-12 hours a day and a few years ago ran into an issue with Carpal Tunnel. I bought a wrist brace, tried icing every so often, but nothing solved the problem (though the ice admittedly helped a little). Someone told me about stretching, and showed me a Youtube video of people stretching online. I started doing those stretches, and it helped tremendously. Over a few months, I developed my own stretches for my wrist, and it eliminated my issue 100%. This was probably 4 years ago, and I have been doing the stretches everyday, and have been perfectly fine. About 5-10 times (over the course of the 4 years), I neglected my stretching, and would run into some kind of pain that wasn't helped from stretching. When that happens, I simply ice and take ibuprofen for a few days and make sure to use my wrist as little as possible. Invariably, after a few days, the pain is gone and I am back to normal where the stretching fixes (or actually prevents I would say) any wrist problem.
Recently, one of my employees has run into a lot of wrist pain (we think carpal tunnel). I had told him many times about stretching, but I do not think that he listened to my advice until it was too late. A few days ago he went into the doctor (county, so unfortunately probably not a very good doctor, or at least not one that knows the specifics of wrist pain or how to solve it), and the doctor told him that it's not carpal tunnel, and that stretching would only make his issue worse. He's now using a brace, not stretching, and not icing.
My question is - what is happening when we stretch our wrists (in general)? Why do I run into a situation every so often where stretching doesn't cure the problem? Could a doctor possibly tell him he definitely doesn't have carpal tunnel, and that stretching definitely wouldn't help just by looking at it (didn't run any Xrays or MRI or anything)? My suggestion is to stop using his wrist for the next few days, ice it 20 minutes every few hours, and make sure to take ibuprofen a few times a day for at least a week - do you think my suggestion might be the way to go?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
12/12/2017
Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

stretching the wrist stretches the nerves, blood vessels, lymphatic channels, tendons, muscles, skin, fascia, bones, ligaments which are in the wrist and makes them all more flexible

it also helps decrease inflammation in the area and improves circulation in the area.

stretching should be done regularly

stretching is very similar to yoga and exercise

doing yoga can help you stretching other parts of your body and help strengthen other parts of your body to help prevent pain and problems down the line.

I'm looking for more of an answer for $75. I don't mean to be rude but I don't think that could be considered an "in depth" response by any standard of that phrase.
I have been using this site for many years now and typically get much more involved answers, and for $75 I sincerely ***** ***** should be answering all facets of the question.
If your the person to give me that kind of answer I'd love another response, if not, I will repost this.

I am still here willing to help you.

stretching often will help with inflammation in the wrist or right wrist or with inflammation due to carpel tunnel syndrome.

I am glad that stretching has helped you in the past.

that is good you have tried to help your employee with suggestions for stretching and icing.

these are excellent first suggestions.

hopefully they will try it.

once you have better flexibility in your wrist, there are limits to how much stretching can help

you can still get inflammation and pain in areas of good flexibility.

you may still need to wrist your own wrist and ice it and elevate your hands up to help decrease pain and inflammation in your own wrist

DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD