Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Am a 35 female who was diagnosed with osteopenia of the

Customer Question
spine last year. ive always...
am a 35 female who was diagnosed with osteopenia of the spine last year. ive always struggled with back and neck pain, and when i was about 12 i fractured my lower left leg when my bicycle fell on top; xrays revealed mulitple fractures and a qtr sized hole in my bone...after monitoring it, the hole eventually went away. broke the bone in my foot in 2008. is my chronic back pain (muscle spasms, nerves suck) attributed to my osteopenia? and if i have it in my spine, what does that mean, am I physically limited?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
12/11/2017
Orthopedist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with Osteopenia in your spine. Osteopenia is a result of low calcium in the bones and can cause small stress fractures that would add to your back and spine pain. This should be treated with Vitamin D and Calcium supplements so that your calcium stores increase. Your physical limitations are only to the extent of the pain that you have. Exercise is healthy for you and can help reduce osteopenia with the supplements I suggested. Please discuss getting a Vitamin D level with your doctor to determine the best form of Vitamin supplement for you (D2 or D3).

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions?