Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Thoracic rathopathy common?

Customer Question
Thoracic rathopathy common ?...
Thoracic rathopathy common ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
12/3/2017
Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

thoracic radiculopathy is not as common as lumbar radiculopathy

what symptoms are you having?

are you male or female?

Female .. been having pain since September. I did have an injury to my chest and the pain seems to lining up with my back ... the injury was not bad impact but the pain was electric and pain . Had mammogram and clinical breast exam all clear .. Digital X-ray was clear ... what are the chances this can be a tumor in the soft tissue ?

chance of tumor is very very small

pain most likely due to your prior injury

what you need is an MRI scan of your thoracic spine to look for spine injury and pinched nerves.

your doctor can order this spine MRI scan for you

Do most of the time see the tumors in X-rays or and idea something is wrong ? Would you feel a tumor on the soft tissue.. ( I’m thin ) could it be a pinched nerve ? I keep reading that thoracic rathopathy is so uncommon.. are they that rare ?

yes, large tumors can be seen on xrays.

tumors would grow and cause more problems and often leads to paralysis of your legs and bowel and bladder function.

trauma to the spine can cause thoracic radiculopathy.

how old are you?

40. Basically to cause pain it would have to be large enough to see some abnormality on xray .. I was shocked how good the X-rays have become . I had the injury to the front of the chest in the breast but right next to the sternum . The impact was not bad ( wheel barrel) but the pain was electric and stabbing . I think the burning sensation is lining up directly to the back . I ran to my breast surgeon thinking it was breast cancer .. he gave me the all clear and I was shocked due to the pain . It took me some time to realize it was coming from my back .. could it be a pinched nerve ?

if you had cancer in your spine causing pain, you would most likely be able to see it on xray.

it could be from a pinched nerve

it could be due to hairline fracture of the rib or damage to the posterior rib from your front chest sternal injury.

What could be In the soft tissue ? Its obviously something they are not seeing xray. MRI of thoracic show the ribs ?

CT scan of the chest is the best way to see all of the ribs and soft tissues around the ribs.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com