Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Burning pain in thoracic rathopathy. Digital X-rays are

Customer Question
Burning pain in thoracic rathopathy...
Burning pain in thoracic rathopathy . Digital X-rays are clear. What can an MRI show ? Basically what does the XRay rule out ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
11/30/2017
Orthopedist: Doctor John MD, M.D. replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Xray will only show bone structures while MRI will show if any nerve impingement or disc herniation as the source of the pain.

So xray would rule out fractures and abnormal bone growth in the spine and ribs.

The xray also helps when the radiologist reads the MRI since they can use the Xray as a reference if needed.

Does that help answer your question?

X-rays rule out tumors of lung and spine ? What tumors could be In the soft tissue ? Also if there is a tumor in the soft tissue , could you feel it on the back ?

MRI (and ultrasound) is much better at imaging soft tissue than xray is.

Does that make sense?

I know that MRI and ultrasound show soft tissue. What I’m asking is what does the X-ray mostly likely rule out ? You can still have a tumor in the lung or spine and not be seen on xray ?

depends on the xray - a chest xray looks mostly at lung tissue and can spot most lung lesions, but often times a CT scan is done to clarify.

If the xray is of ribs or thoracic spine, it would help rule out bony lesions in the spine or ribs as the source of pain. But again, more advanced imaging would be done as a followup.

We use X-rays as a first line test since they are quick to do and low cost. They aren't 100%, but it would be cost- and time-prohibited to do CT scans and MRIs on everyone since one CT or MRI can take 45 to 60 minutes to do.

basically xray do not rule out cancer by 80% ? The cancerous tumor could be in the soft tissue of the spin . If there is a cancerous tumor in the back. Would you be able to feel the soft tissue tumor in most cases ?

How sensitive or specific X-rays are for detecting or ruling out cancers really depends on the type of cancer and again, only used as the first step in the work up, so difficult to give you a specific number or percentage.

There could be a soft tissue tumor near the spine or pressing against the spinal cord that would not be seen on the xray, but an MRI would be more helpful to visualize.

Depending on the location of the tumor and the size of the person, some tumors might be palpable, but many are deeper and would not be palpable.

Does that make sense?

you can’t see cancer on the X-ray

you can see some lung cancers and bone cancers on an xray, but it doesnt see all cancers, so that is why we would do an MRI or CT scan for better accuracy.

does that help answer your question?