Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know anything I would need to know about…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know anything I would need to know about bilateral tibial stress fractures. I am currently in Army training and I am on hold until I am able to run again. My physical therapist rated my right tibia as a Grade 4 and my left as a Grade 3. How long do you think before I can run.? I do not want to risk fracturing either leg.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
11/28/2017
Orthopedist: Doctor John MD, M.D. replied 4 months ago
Doctor John MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
How did the physical therapist do the grading? Based on an X-ray or MRI or bone scan or from exam?
Do you have a history of prior stress fractures?
Are you male or female?
I️ received a bone scan.
I️ am a 19-year old female. And I️ have never had history of any form of fracture or injury.
I’ve pulled my IT band and also tore a quad but that’s about it. All injuries due to running.
your menstrual periods are normal?
I️ am currently taking citracel calcium pills to help the healing. I️ haven’t ran since September 28th.
Ok, stress fractures can take about 12 weeks to heal if severe.
PT should also be addressing your running biomechanics with strengthening exercises as well so that you don’t develop the stress fractures again as you return to running and fitness training.I dealt with this a lot when I was an Air Force physician and the strength program is key to preventing recurrence.
Does that help answer your question?

do you have any further question about your stress fractures for me?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, M.D.