Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Thank you for the advice about the knee. I am relieved that…

Customer Question
Thank you for the advice...
Thank you for the advice about the knee. I am relieved that surgery may not be required. However, my main question concerns the pain in the forearm. Can you speak to that please?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
11/27/2017
Orthopedist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hello again,

Pain in the forearm is also likely to be due to soft tissue trauma, given the fact that there is no swelling or bruising over the area, the likely cause here is that you could have bruised the muscle (in layman terms) or even cause minor strain on the tendons of the forearm. As with the knee, the forearm could have also developed a minor tear in the tendons. A tear would be managed in much the same way s the knee joint however it would require a little more rest and you should avoid lifting heavy weights with the affected arm for the next 2-3 weeks. Applying a compression bandage and using the same therapies, in this case, would be helpful as well. I would also advise applying heat over the area which would help in reducing the pain etc in the forearm.

If however, you are also developing numbness, shooting or stabbing pains in the forearm then I would advise looking into nerve damage in the area. This would be diagnosed with the help of NCS/EMG test and if necessary an MRI can be done here as well.

But again the same treatment modalities should be applied here, including the ibuprofen, compression bandage, capsaicin gel etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.