Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am 20 years old, and would like to elongate my spine.Are…

Customer Question
I am 20 years old...
I am 20 years old, and would like to elongate my spine.Are there any supplements that are targeted to making my torso/spine, longer or taller?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
11/20/2017
Orthopedist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Unfortunately there are no supplements or remedies which have been scientifically proven to help increase the length of the spine. All of the supplements on the market do NOT have any evidence backing their claims. The reason for this is that your height of the spine is genetically programmed into you and the bones will stop growing once the genes in your body tell them to, this usually happens by the time you hit the age of 18-20. After that the spine will not grow in size or height. All the supplements that you use will help to strengthen the spine, that is true, but the height wont increase. The methods of stretching etc also do not help but can cause problems in the spine itself such as disc prolapse etc.

If you do want to strengthen your spine then you can use,

Calcium abd vitamin D supplements

Omega 3 fatty acids

Vitamin B12, C, folate supplements

But unfortunately the only way to elongate the spine is invasive surgery.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/