Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I fractured my toe and did not get any new bone growth after…

Customer Question
I fractured my toe...

I fractured my toe and did not get any new bone growth after 8 weeks. Can low thyroid be the reason or PV be the reason

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

My broken toe did not improve after 8 weeks of taping together and wearing a special shoe.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Very low thyroid TSH went to 15 and Polycythemia Vera

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?

Thyroid October 19th and have had Polycythemia Vera for 5 years. Blood levels are maintaining on Hydroxyurea

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
11/17/2017
Orthopedist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well slow thyroid can lead to decreased mineralization of bones and so increased fragility leading to fractures. Similarly PV has been studied for increased fracture risk but the exact underlying mechanism remains unknown.. Slow thyroid slows bone growth / fracture healing too.

I hope it answered your query

Hope it answered your query .

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor