Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

This morning, I came downstairs, and as I hit the last step…

This morning, I came downstairs...
This morning, I came downstairs, and as I hit the last step and stepped on the tile floor, I slid because it was wet and my right leg went out sideways and I heard a click or snap noise and I fell and landed on my knees on the tile floor. The pain was unbelievable, and now I'm limping when I walk. When sitting still, the pain is around a 5, but if I move my leg and knee, especially any sideways movement, the pain goes up to around a 9 on a scale of 10. I've started using what Google recommended.....Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Do you think this is something serious enough that I should go to an ER or Urgent Care now, or would it be Ok to wait and see if it gets better overnight or in the next day or two? What kinds of things could this be now, how serious, and what treatments might be required? I'm hoping its nothing that will be permanent or that serious. Thank you.
9/15/2017
Doctor John MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Ok

is the pain on the inside, front or outside part of the knee?
Or is the pain above the knee towards the hip or below the knee towards the ankle?
Do you have any numbness or weakness into your foot?

The pain is mostly on the front and sides of the kneecap....especially when I move my legs at all to the sides like when getting in and out of the car or into bed. It also hurts just walking though as well. No real pain above, below or on the inside/back of the knee. There's also an occasional clicking noise when moving the knee. I also dontnotice any weakness or numbness in my leg or foot...just difficulty walking or putting any real pressure on the knee, but no other weakness.

and when the knee is straight, are you able to lift your leg off the couch?

but it hurts a little more moving it.

ok, so most likely sprain of ligaments of the knee, but obviously cant rule out a small fracture without X-ray.
If the pain isn't too bad, you can continue the ice and elevation tonight and then be seen in an urgent care tomorrow and they can exam and order an X-ray to be sure there is no fracture (broken bone)

does that answer your question?

if sprain of ligaments, what needs to be done for that? If small fracture, what needs to done for that? If pain unbearable or better, would I still have to go to doctor or urgent care tomorrow, or is waiting and continued ice ok...or not? Thank you again.

if pain is unbearable, then would recommend going to urgent care or ER tonight and they can also prescribe stronger pain medications if needed. If pain is 5/10 and you can tolerate thru night, then ok to wait til tomorrow.

For ligament sprains, usually conservative management (unless ACL is torn, then sometimes surgery for that). Conservative management would be continuing the ice and elevation and early range of motion. as pain improves, then strengthens exercises and physical therapy.

For fractures, depends on location and type of fracture. most can be treated non-operatively with a cast. However a patella (kneecap) fracture that is horizontal and completely thru the bone may need surgery to keep it together. Also some fractures of the tibia, if there is depression of the joint line, would require surgery. Patients usually cant bear any weight on theses fractures when they occur (although Ive had one or two limp into the urgent care with one over the years)

If pain is not* unbearable or is better that last sentence was supposed to say
Ok Thank you!

you're welcome! Glad to help!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, M.D.