Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I had a Zimmer versys double total hip replacement in 2009.

I have been having many...
I had a Zimmer versys double total hip replacement in 2009. I have been having many symptoms of metallosis now that I know what that is....I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with me for quiet some time and just realized that I had this type of implant and its known to cause metal toxicity....how can I find out if my implant is one that causes this disorder?
I have have documented elevated CrP tests, documented unexplained hearing loss, short term memory loss, malaise, fatigue, diarrhea, stiffness, pain, burning in my joints and muscles...
9/15/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I would get blood tests for chromium and cobalt

is this helpful?

but can you tell me if all Zimmer versys systems are metal on metal or are some different. Do they still use them?

i'm not 100% sure but I believe that some are not metal on metal

your surgeon can tell you what one you have then you can google it

It just says Zimmer Versys
I have requested the medical records from the hospital to get the actual product and lot numbers

I believe those are all metal on metal

Do you know if they are still being used?

Yes, they are

Do you think I could have this metallosis?

you might

I have a patient that has it

If I do what is the treatment?

replacement of the prosthesis

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
F#€K! I'm only 35 I can't do this shit again....������
Thank you

welcome :)

good luck

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician