Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I don't know what this means but I'm hoping you can help me…

Customer Question
I don't know what this...
I don't know what this means but I'm hoping you can help me make sense. Of it
I have 1 finger, right hand ring finger ,lower knuckle closer to tip , gets uncomfortable so I pop/crack it and weird part is ,right after I do so my finger is hard to move like. I disturbed the fluid in there or something like that ? Like it becomes hard and a little painful to move , definitely difficult. I'm guessing arthritis but I'm no doctor so I'm here ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Orthopedics
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Orthopedist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 9 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How long has this been going on and was there any trauma involved?

No trauma noticed it recently can't say exactly when

Sorry for the delay

No, not arthritis

You've got tendonitis there and the beginnings of what's called a trigger finger where the flexor tendon of that finger is getting stuck in its tendon sheath

For now you can apply topical capsaicin cream and take ibuprofen for the pain, but have your doctor check it out

I'd get an MRI of the hand to evaluate the problem and I would consider giving you a cortisone injection there to treat this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor