Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

Due to chronic infections of the right shoulder after

Customer Question

Due to chronic infections of the right shoulder after implanting prostheses, upon the advice of my orthopedic surgeon, I have had surgery to remove the implant and not replace them. Ergo, my shoulder joint is gone, resulting in instability and weakness. Is there some sort of help for this situation?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have seen the surgeon and have had therapy. So far no help. There is no pain so no meds are needed.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Are you not reading my text? NO PAIN!
JA: I hope not. Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing pertinent to my original question.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question, as these chronic infections were due to prosthesis so it is wise not to place the prosthesis for next 6-12 months depending upon the damage to the surrounding bone. Once surrounding bone is hard or firm enough based on X rays and MRI scan then we can re implant the bioprosthesis which has very low rate of infection. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your question.
I am Dr Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I will be happy to help you today.
Periprosthetic infection is a difficult problem with no easy solution.
In this type of problem one possible solution may be consideration of a two stage revision arthroplasty where during the first stage, antibiotic loaded bone cement spacer is put into the joint to eradicate any residual infection which may be lurking in the joint even if there is no overt infection in form of pus drainage or other signs of infection.
In second stage done 6 to 8 weeks later, the spacer is removed and a new joint is put in place.
In a recently published study 15 out of 19 patients control of infection was achieved this way.Total rate of complications was 42 %.
Please see the link below.http://www.jshoulderelbow.org/article/S1058-2746(16)30498-0/abstractFeel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer, hopefully 5 stars.