DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

My mom is in the hospital for pain from a herniated disc.

Customer Question

My mom is in the hospital for pain from a herniated disc. Doctors giving her strong pain meds. She now has acute injury to her kidneys. She is dehydrated, doctors giving her IV fluids. Will kidney damage be permanent?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Most patients with acute kidney injury regain their kidney function after removal of the offending agent. According to one study on long-term follow-up (1-10 years), approximately 12.5% of survivors of acute kidney injury needed dialysis; 19-31% of survivors experienced a partial recovery of kidney function and had chronic kidney disease; and the rest had a complete recovery. So, based on these facts, kidney damage is most likely not going to be permanent; however, there is a low possibility that it may be permanent.

Take care.

We can continue with this chat till you are satisfied that your problem was solved.
Please reply if you have any additional questions, or if you did not understand any part of my answer.
Was your question answered, and was this helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how long does one stay on iv fluids for? how long does it take to reverse dehydration

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

She has to be on treatment till there is correction of biochemical abnormalities such as electrolyte imbalance. Renal recovery is usually seen within few days (especially if dehydration was the cause of injury), but it can take as long as 2 weeks.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are patients on iv fluids for a couple of days or for 2 weeks straight? do most patients not go on to develop chronic kidney disease? how often does dehydration cause acute kidney injury

Patients are on fluids (in case of dehydration) for only a few days, and will recover. However there is a possibility that they may recover in a couple of days, and the other treatments such as medications should be given. So, recovery may take 2 weeks.

Most patients do not go on to develop kidney disease; however there is a possibility that few patients can go on to develop kidney disease. Volume depletion and dehydration (if untreated) will cause kidney injury in everyone. However in most individuals dehydrtion is treated preventing kidney injury.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how many patients have you had that had chronic kidney injury due to dehydration that went on to develop chronic kidney disease? my mom has been dehydrated for less than a week

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

I cannot tell you about the number of patients, since I have not done any such study. In my experience majority of patients have successfully recovered; however a few unfortunately had permanent damage and therefore suffered from chronic kidney disease requiring dialysis.

Your mom has a good chance of recovery; please continue the treatment and hopefully she will recover in a few more days.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is dehydration something the kidneys can recover from? Why do some people develop chronic kidney disease

Yes, this is a reversible cause of injury in most patients. However some people develop long term injury due to very severe dehydration and volume depletion that occurred for a long time causing the cells to die.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would under a week be considered long for dehydration?

Yes, this may be considered long. However, recovery can still be possible. Depends on how severe the dehydration was. If it was mild then even with a week of mild dehydration, there is a strong possibility of recovery.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it was severe under a week is recovery possible? Can there still be no permanent damage

If it was severe and caused permanent injury, then recovery is less likely. However there is no way for you to know whether it was severe or not. Only with treatment which is not responding, we can know that it was a severe injury.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have you had patients with a week of dehydration make a full recovery

No, I have not had such a patient. Based on experience with similar cases, and theoretical knowledge, I can assure you that recovery is still more likely.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm confused by your answer - are you saying you have never had a patient make full recovery being dehydrated for a week?

I am saying that I have not had a patient who had suffered from severe dehydration for a week and then came to hospital after a week. Most of the patients came to hospital in a few days, and have made full recovery.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can kidney recovery after getting fluids take a few dsys

Dear customer,

Before we continue I want to ask you whether my previous answers were beneficial and worthy of 5-stars.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mom's kidneys are better! Her legs are swollen from all the fluids she got! Does the swelling get better over time? How long does that take?

Did I answer your previous questions?