Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I have hurt my back. Would like to know if it sounds like a

Customer Question
disc injury or a muscle...
I have hurt my back. Would like to know if it sounds like a disc injury or a muscle sprain ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Orthopedics
10/30/2016
Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry that you hurt your back

how old are you?

are you male or female?

where you lifting something heavy when this happened?

have you hurt your back before?

have you ever had a spine MRI scan before when you hurt your back?

if you have had disk herniation and slipped disk before and are proned to slipped disks, then this is important to know

slipped disk can also press on nerves which exit the spinal cord which can cause pain to radiate down into your buttocks, back of your thighs and into your legs

do you have pain radiating down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there . I am 33 and a female . I'm not over weight or prone to previous back injury . I had a baby 2 months ago and did experience lower back pain during pregnancy . A week ago , I tried to lift a heavy laundry basket and felt a strong painful pull in my back . The next day I was in excruciating pain . It hurts the most when bending and twisting to the right . When I out my head to chest it's very painful in my Lower back . I haven't noticed any tingle or numbness ... just a deep pain that has been for a week . I have a hard time getting out of bed and breastfeeding and holding my baby .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not noticed pain in legs or buttocks . I have not had a MRI . I'm breastfeeding so I have been taking Motrin and advil for pain and icing the injury .

that is good you are icing and taking anti-inflammatories

you can also try heating pads to help relax your back muscles

at your age, more likely just a muscle strain or muscle sprain.

make sure you take the motrin and advil with food in your stomach and with plenty of water

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long will this take to heal . It's been a week and it's still very painful

this varies from patient to patient.

some patients takes longer than others.

you may benefit from wearing a back brace as well which could help support your back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it normal that my lower right back hurts near my waist when I lower my head ? Do u think it's a disc or muscle ?

that sounds like a muscle strain.

when you tilt your head down, you stretch your back muscles.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . So besides ice / heat and ibuprofen what else can I do to speed healing ?

lumbar support when sitting down.

you can wear a back brace as well.

healthy diet can help

drinking more water

not smoking

no alcohol.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician