Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I am a 54 year old fairly health male who takes not

Customer Question
medicines other than a daily...
I am a 54 year old fairly health male who takes not medicines other than a daily aspirin. Started having stiffness in knees and some pain after someone falling into my right knee a couple of years ago. Go xrays and was told just age related and some arthritis. showed good symmetry in cartilage. Went to another doctor who replaced knees of my friend and he took xrays after I was requesting MRI. quickly told me to schedule replacement with no other explanation. I ignored and am still ok but have a stiff knee that feels like nerve problems on the left side of my knee .. Kind of a burning feel .. Recently my right hip has been aching and this travels down the outside of my right leg especially when I lay on it. Can a knee problem start causing a hip problem.? could I have a torn cartilage that would not be diagnosed from only an xray and can there be nerve damage from someone falling on the right side of your knee ? thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Orthopedics
9/18/2016
Orthopedist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, a knee problem can cause a problem with the hip, Any problem in the knee or elsewhere in the leg that alters the mechanics of using the leg can place extra strain on the hip, and over time, this can cause hip problems.

Yes, a torn cartilage can be present and not diagnosed by plain x-rays of the knee. In fact, torn cartilages will usually not be detected by plain x-rays. An MRi is the study that will usually detect a torn cartilage. We do not perform an MRI on every person that has knee pain, but if there is suspicion that a torn cartilage is present, either because of the history and physical examination or persistence of symptoms, then an MRI would be appropriate.

As for whether there can be nerve damage from someone falling on your knee, the answer is yes, but it is not very likely. A minor nerve injury, such as a bruise would be more common. But a significant nerve injury that causes sustained symptoms would be very unusual when the only injury is someone falling into the knee. If there clearly are nerve symptoms present, it would be more likely that the trauma has caused a musculoskeletal injury that has also has some associated inflammation, and the underlying musculoskeletal problem is causing swelling that is pressing on the nerve.

At this point, it would be reasonable to consider an MRI for evaluation of ongoing significant symptoms, although the findings on exam would also guide decision making on whether to obtain an MRI.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor