Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

In October 2013 I had a injury to my left shoulder I had an

Customer Question
MRI then and it showed...
in October 2013 I had a injury to my left shoulder I had an MRI then and it showed two tears in two different areas. The orthopedic surgeon at that time only gave me a cortisone injection in my left shoulder. Then earlier this summer I was in bed sleeping one night rolled over to my left side and felt a pop in my shoulder and then had pain after that. I had an MRI on 8/11/2016 and this one showed a Labral tear. And now it is so painful the shoulder it is very difficult to even move my arm. I am a disabled veteran the VA up where I live has a small like "Emergency Department" if I would go there, how likely do you think they would transfer me to the bigger VA hospital about 20-30 miles away where they have orthopedic surgeons to their Emergency Room to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon today in their Emergency Room, and do you think it is very likely they will end up doing surgery today for my shoulder if any type of surgery is required, or do you think they would scheduled me for a later date to have any type of surgery. And if I do end up having surgery do you think I would have to stay overnight then in the hospital following the surgery procedure. Because my career is really a Personal Trainer so my career also depends on me having full range of motion in my arm and strength in my shoulder as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Orthopedics
9/16/2016
Orthopedist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well there are few things to consider here in regards ***** ***** labral tear.

1) how likely do you think they would transfer me to the bigger VA hospital about 20-30 miles away where they have orthopedic surgeons to their Emergency Room to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon today in their Emergency Room?

Well this all depends on whether or not your pain can be controlled in teh ER with the help of painkillers, if your pain is controlled they may delay the referral to another time. Secondly if you are able to move your shoulder, even then the referral may be delayed. Surgery and referrals are dependent on the ability to move the shoulder or on the severity of the pain. The greater the pain which is uncontrolled the more likely it is that surgery may be scheduled.

2) do you think it is very likely they will end up doing surgery today for my shoulder if any type of surgery is required, or do you think they would scheduled me for a later date to have any type of surgery?

emergency ssurgery for this sort of surgery is RARELY done, usually the mode of management is to control the pain and start you on medication while scheduling a surgery for a later date. This is because surgery can be delayed in this scenario, not too much but it can be delayed for a few days until your pain is controlled to a better extent.

3) And if I do end up having surgery do you think I would have to stay overnight then in the hospital following the surgery procedure. ?

Yes you will have to stay in the hospital for atleast 2-3 days following the surgery, and also after surgery you will have to undergo rehabilitation for the next 4-6 weeks in order to regain full range of motion in the arm. usually teh arm is kept in a sling for 3-4 weeks after surgery, full range of motion may return after 6-8 weeks however full healing can take upto 3-4 months.

The main thing here is that you need to go to the ER even if they wont do the surgery immediately, which is the likely scenario here. It is important to go to the ER because of your extreme pain, they can do another MRI to see if the injury has worsened and at the same time give you a cortisone injection and also start you on painkillers. At the same time they can schedule a surgical procedure for an earlier date.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor