Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I have a very weird pointer finger on my right hand. If you look at my pictures in the links (it kept failing...

Customer Question
Hi. So I have a...
Hi. So I have a very weird pointer finger on my right hand. If you look at my pictures in the links (it kept failing to upload here) you can see that it is highly flexible but it is ALWAYS pointing away from my other fingers above its knuckle but this is me concentrating on holding it normal. If I'm not paying attention it moves even farther to the left above the knuckle and my gf makes fun of it all the time. I can move it very far out in all directions as you can also see. It is highly flexible and almost rubber like to me. And the weird thing is that there is a hard bump in the middle by the knuckle on the right side I was born this way and have never had anything happen to my hand. It almost feels like to me like there is something extra in it like bone or something. Is it just double jointed? If it is, I have NEVER seen someone with just one double jointed finger and especially one that looks like this! There is no pain ever or anything like that. It's just weird. I'm really curious to what it would like on an x ray though. Here are pic links.http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/jamiehenry65867/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-06-24-22-17-01-1_zpsz18ijt85.pnghttp://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/jamiehenry65867/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-06-24-22-10-33-1_zpsxqdutet0.pnghttp://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/jamiehenry65867/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-06-24-22-10-21-1_zpskco7kkcu.png
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Orthopedics
6/25/2016
Orthopedist: DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician

Thanks for this question

This is typical of what occurs after a mallet finger injury

Have you ever jammed this finger?

Or could you jammed it in the past and not really remembered?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure.. It never hurts or anything. It's just strange

I suspect you have suffered an injury in the past and resulted in this

The pain from the mallet injury would have passed by now

so I'm not surprised you have no pain

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mallet finger makes no sense since that affects the most outer finger joint when mine is on the PIP joint (middle)

I thought that is what you were pointing to in your pics

The picture quality is very bad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to make it clear the sideview pic of my finger is me making it do that to show how flexible it is.

some clearer pics would help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't. The bump is on the PIP joint but on the right side of it. From that point up, the finger is what looks like almost "leaning" to the left at all times away from my other fingers. Is this a double jointed finger that is just awkward looking? Its highly flexible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i was born this way I believe. I know for a fact that I have never injured it.

That is possible but it would be unusual to have one finger like this.

It has to be some type of injury in the past that did this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any injuries that cause a bump on the PIP joint, make it lean away from other fingers and make it very flexible. Its flexible like a double jointed finger I believe but looks different. Maybe it happened when I was very young.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
However I have questioned my parents and they claim i never hurt any of my fingers or hands growing up. *sigh*

Yes, any type of tendon rupture can do this

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the bump be scar tissue if there was a tendon rupture at some point? Would an xray help give some answers?

1)yes, it could be scar tissue or a balled up tendon

2)yes, maybe

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician