Orthopedics

Orthopedics Questions? Ask an Orthopedist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Orthopedics

I was involved in 2 automobile accidents within 12 months of

Customer Question
each other. I totaled my...
I was involved in 2 automobile accidents within 12 months of each other. I totaled my car in the first, and the second was almost as bad. In both incidences, the other driver was driving from the opposite direction and turned left in front of me. I did not have time to apply the brakes either time. The first accident happened in February 4, 2014. My air bag deployed and I suffered lower back pain, a hurt knee, neck and sore chest. I completed Physical Therapy, Dry Needling and one Steroid Injection and was completely free of pain by November 26, 2014. On January 15, 2015, the same thing happened, but it was a stronger impact. I had another MRI done, and it showed 2 other regions of my back had been injured along with 4 and 5. Physical Therapy and Dry Needling gave me minor relief, so I was referred to another orthopedic specialist. At that time, mid September, 2015, I was having pains in my buttocks and down my legs and could hardly walk. He did an Epidural Steroid Injection, which gave me about 30% relief. I could at least walk a little better, but I still had the lower back pain. I could not sit or stand for more than 20 minutes at a time. So he did another one. I don't think I got any relief, so a month later, a third one was done. No relief. He immediately said I was a candidate for back surgery. In the meantime, I had heard of friends and friends of friends who used him and they ALL needed back surgery, so I was hesitant. I wanted a second opinion, and he pretty much threw me out of his office. I started having the pains down my legs again, and people told me that was my sciatic nerve. They recommended a well known chiropractor in Baton Rouge, so I went to him. After 5 visits, with little relief, he got both MRI's before and after the second wreck, seeing that the second wreck did cause more damage, and started working those parts of my back. I can hardly walk, which he told me would happen, until it gets those joints working again, but he He wants me to go see a pain management Doctor to do another epidural steroid injection, this time where he can work on my back at the same time. I am willing to try anything. If I knew back surgery would work, I would do it, but I hear stories of it not working. I am 57 years old and still work. I feel like I am being stabbed in my back and this sciatic nerve must affect my bladder, because I have to urinate every 45 minutes to an hour, and get up 4-5 times a night. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Orthopedics
5/22/2016
Orthopedist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

back spine surgery should always be left as the absolute last resort.

it doesn't sound like the chiropractor is helping

have you tried accupuncture on your back

do you have your most recent spine MRI scan report you can upload so I can help you review it

have you tried physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles of your lower back?

you might benefit from a medication to help decrease overactive bladder muscles. are you male? you could have an enlarged prostate gland which is causing frequent urination. there are medications which can help shrink your prostate gland.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have my MRI reports, but not with me. I am out of town. I can upload them tomorrow. I am female. No prostate issues, I hope. Ha.

yes, you can upload the MRI scan report tomorrow.

you could still have overactive bladder muscles which can be helped with vesicare or detrol which could help you urinate less at night time.

DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD