DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

My husband is a 47 year old runner. Past history: right knee

Customer Question

My husband is a 47 year old runner. Past history: right knee scoped due to meniscus tear and blood clot from groin to ankle in right leg due to blood clotting disorder. Recent doppler scan looked good. He has run a total of 30 marathons, bikes, swims, etc. He is experiencing swelling in the right knee after even a short run. The swelling is not visible but just feels swollen. The swelling goes down shortly after he runs. He went to see an orthopedic surgeon over a week ago and got a cortisone shot. He also got a regular x-ray which looked good and did not show arthritis, etc. Any thoughts as to what may be going on? The next step is an MRI. He has NOT tried icing his knee. He will start doing that. He was able to run four miles today but he said it felt swollen right after run. It's odd because the swelling clears right up.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I suspect he has gout or pseudogout of the kneeThis is a common condition after surgery on the knee.He will need a fluid analysis of the joint fluidAsk the surgeon to tap it and check for crystals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His surgery was five years ago. Would it just be flaring up now?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
It can. It can flare at any time
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate itIf you have more questions, just reply
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.