How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Sawhney Your Own Question
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Category: Orthopedics
Satisfied Customers: 7240
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
Type Your Orthopedics Question Here...
Dr.Sawhney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently having lower back pains,they go from my lower

Customer Question

i am currently having lower back pains,they go from my lower front area and around the lower back.
I have problems standing up and bending down,and then when I try to stand it hurt and I have trouble stretching to stand straight.
I have trouble once I get out of chair to walk upright.
when I try to bend down to do something I find it hard.
what can I do to help this.
is there any strength exercise or anything else.
I take panadol for the pain it ease it but it the not being able to move fast.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
I am reading your question and would respond shortly.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
I need some more information .Please tell me your age and gender.
Since how long have you been having these pains?
What treatment or investigations you have had till date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

age 63,female.

I had it for a while but it got worse over the last couple of days.

I am firm believer in massage but haven't had one for some time.

over the year I seen chiropractor and osteopath and of course massage therapist but I haven't done anything lately for a year or so.

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
It seems that you have developed acute exacerbation of degenerative disc disease where the disc between the two vertebral bodies degenerates over time and causes stiffness and pain especially when we start doing and any activity after resting for some time.
The pressures in the disc are increased when we try to bend down and that also causes pain in a degenerative disc.
The mainstay of treatment for degenerative disc disease is postural care to prevent any extra stress being placed on the discs and exercises to strengthen the muscles which support are back.
You should see a good physiotherapist or a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist known as physiatrist for training in postural care and exercises.
For acute symptoms you may also take an anti-inflammatory like advil at dose of 400 milligrams every 6 hours for few days.
Applying ice to the painful area would also help.
Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hope you have found my answer useful.
I would be glad to help you if you have any further questions regarding the problem.
If you are done please do rate me positively by clicking 4 or 5 stars at the top of page. This is the only way we get credited for our time .You can always come back to ask any further related questions you may have.