Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I sustained a Labral tear of my right hip. The MRI report

Customer Question

I sustained a Labral tear of my right hip. The MRI report only showed an anterior labral tear. No more detail than that in the report. I was told that people in their 50's don't do much better after surgery. Are there different types of anterior labral tears?. How do I know if mine is more likely to heal on its own vs have surgery?. I have the MRI images, should I ask the radiologist details about the findings to help me figure out if I am ever going to heal.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

It is not your age which is a determinant of prognosis after surgical treatment of labral tear.

Most important determinants of prognosis are number of labral tears and the geographical location of those tears and the state of cartilage of the hip joint.

Multiple tears are associated with poor prognosis.

Degeneration of cartilage of the hip joint is also known to be associated with poor prognosis.

You need to discuss these possible issues with your orthopaedic doctor as he would be able to synthesise information from MRI and your clinical status to make an informed decision regarding utility of surgery.

Feel free to ask any follow-up question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cartilage is fine at the joint, but there is joint narrowing on plain x-ray films. There is only one tear.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Joint narrowing on x ray means that cartilage has been lost and it's thickness has decreased .

This is a poor prognostic sign.